Saturday, May 5, 2012

Karaoke

Karaoke.  To me, it's a four-letter word.  I don't do it.  I don't go to it.  I avoid it like the motherfucking plague.  But the Libertine asked me to go.  And to be honest, karaoke with the poly group sounded like it might not be as awful as normal karaoke.  So I went.

The evening started out smashingly.  We drove into the city in a ridiculous thunderstorm: rain so heavy you couldn't see and hail bouncing off the tollway.  It was nice to have the drive time to talk about everything, and nothing in particular.  Once we got to the bar, the Libertine introduced me to another of his girlfriends, Harmony.  I found her delightful, easy to talk to, warm and welcoming.  She and I chatted comfortably almost immediately.  The Libertine had wandered off to greet others, and when he returned we were discussing our need for minions to do our bidding.  I think he was extremely pleased to see us hit it off so well.  

There were several other people for me to meet, because I do not typically go to Chicago Poly events.  My schedule is crazy, and finding child care makes attending most of them difficult.  It was really great to be around people who live the same lifestyle, albeit a bit funny to mentally draw the lines connecting them all.  Ironically, the person I enjoyed meeting the most was Ingenue, also a newbie to the meet ups.  She was open, friendly, and very curious.  We chatted about our shared love of John Barrowman, corsets, and steampunk.  She recommended a milliner she recently found.  She also, very cutely, asked me if I am bi.  I hated to disappoint her, but upon learning that I'm straight she said the funniest thing I heard all night: "It takes like chicken ... sprinkled with fairy dust!"  

So close, Ingenue.  I do love me some chicken.

The evening looked like it was going to be a resounding success... until Livia appeared.  Livia and the Libertine dated previously.  I have no idea on the details, the timeline, etc.  The only thing I really know for sure is that they broke up the same week that the Libertine and I met.  I don't know why.  I have no problem meeting exes, they are people too, and just because they used to date someone I'm currently dating doesn't mean I have to pretend they are invisible.

But Livia... she pretty much made it a point to make me uncomfortable.  The Libertine introduced us.  I waved at her, smiled, and said "Nice to meet you!"  She said, "Oh, you're OpenSourcedHeart."  I felt almost like I'd been slapped.  She followed that up with "I've been reading your blog," but the way she said it was cold and unfriendly.  I'm certain I blushed and turned away, because I rarely run into strangers who are readers of my blog.

I kept playing that introduction in my head.  I didn't do anything to Livia.  We'd never met.  I didn't know anything about her.  I couldn't understand why she was so cold to me.  In the end I decided that it didn't matter, and went back to chatting with Harmony, Ingenue, and others.  

We ended up leaving early.  All day today I've been wondering why she seemed to dislike me from the moment she heard my name.  I know it doesn't matter.  I'll likely never see her again.  And to be honest, it's probably best that I don't.  

No comments:

Post a Comment